Tuesday 24 January 2012

Drawing Dash...and the making of 'Drawing Dash'

Check out this bad ass camera rig!
If you can't tell that's a bedside table lamp with a ruler stuck to it using about half a roll of scotch tape, with a webcam stuck to the end of that with another quarter of a roll of scotch tape, plugged into a laptop and sitting on top of a stack of coffee table books over top of a collapsed animation table.   And yes, if you're curious that's a also a package of socks on the table.  Not for any particular reason.  They're just there and I'm strangely proud of the fact that they made it into the photograph.  Believe it or not, this is actually a drastic step up from the death trap I had rigged up a couple days before this but unfortunately I never thought to take a picture.  That one had the same webcam taped to a floor lamp that balanced on a plastic crate and hung over my shoulder to film me drawing on that same animation table, set up properly on the kitchen bar.  I could barely move without knocking something over or getting tangled in a cord...it's a miracle I survived, but here I am to tell the tale.  I had camera trouble that day and the footage I walked away with was pretty much unusable, hence the opportunity to figure out this beautiful setup you see before you.  The result is now on youtube, and here's the drawing I did:
I was using markers that I hadn't used in a while and of course they decided to die while the camera was rolling.  You can probably see how streaky the marker job on this drawing is...I would usually have the chance to clean that up while shading with the other markers but the other ones died too.  It sorta makes me cringe but it was fun to do anyway and the videos kinda cool.  Here's the video by the way:
Gotta love that digital watch, hey?  I'd like to do more videos like this...I even bought a new box of markers today(50 bucks by the way, jeez), but as you can imagine it's kinda a pain to hook up that camera in that way with any regularity so I'm gonna need to figure something better out for future.  The drawing from beginning to end took about 45 minutes and I sped it up to 8 minutes.  The unsped version features a lot of complaining about those damn markers.

No comments:

Post a Comment