Thursday 26 January 2012

New 'Midnight Murderer' Poster

Here's the latest poster for 'The Case of the Midnight Murderer.'
I really like how this turned out but I kinda procrastinated over finishing it for a long time cuz I wasn't sure if the idea was actually gonna work or not.  Half the poster was reliant on blending in frames from the movie and until it was done it was a little hard visualize properly.  I thought it'd be fun to post some of the steps I took to make it.

I started with these thumbnails which is always a good place to start.  Problem is you should really be doing a whole whack of these things and then picking the best one or mix and matching the best parts from them all.  I had this idea for Dash, Milda, Sam and the killer...I was gonna fill in the rest of the poster with other characters but before I even tried I got the idea to use stills from the film and that was the end of that.  Here's the drawing in progress...

 You can see I changed my mind on how the title would stretch across the page...mainly to allow space for the stills...which came in after colouring:
I laid out all the frames on top and then moved them to a lower layer under the faded cityscape and the spotlight, then dropped the opacity to like 30% so the red would come through.  I'm quite happy with how it came out but I'd never tried an effect like this before so I was worried the whole time that it was gonna look too cluttered and busy.  But anyway, there it is.  If you want to download a wallpaper version for your desktop you can do that at the official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment